Leave of Absence
1. General Leave of Absence▶ If a student cannot take more than one-third of classes due to illness or other unavoidable reasons, he or she must submit to the GSD President a leave of absence application using the established form.
▶ The period of leave of absence may not exceed two consecutive semesters and may not exceed four semesters in total for Master's or Doctorate programs and eight semesters in total for integrated Ph.D. progra
2. Extension of Leave of Absence
▶ Those who wish to extend the leave of absence must submit a leave of absence extension form to the GSD President before the expiration date (February/August) of the current leave of absence period. The leave of absence can only be extended once.
▶ A student working at a company designated for military service exemption with a plan to apply as a project research assistant must apply for general leave of absence first within the specified period and apply for leave for military service again after acceptance of project research assistant position is confirmed.
3. Leave for Military Service
▶ Leave of absence for military service shall not be included in the period of leave of absence specified in Article 1 above.
▶ A student who wishes to take leave for military service must prepare the following documents and have them approved by the GSD President before the relevant semester in which his military service enlistment date is included begins.
- Required documents: Copy of Notice of Enlistment of military service
- Required documents for project research assistant applicants: Certificate of Military Service, Proof of Employment, Certificate of Military Service Exemption Business
▶ The leave of absence period for military service shall be the mandatory military service period.
▶ Students discharged from service due to illness or family hardship must immediately report to the GSD Administrative Support Office and take necessary measures.
4. Leave for Military Service during normal leave of absence
▶ Students who receive a Notice of Enlistment during a normal leave of absence must prepare required documents specified in Article 3 above and have them approved by the GSD President (Project research assistants included)
5. If a student wants to take a leave of absence without paying tuition, he or she must submit a leave of absence application by the end of August for the first semester or the end of February for the second semester.※ Please note that, if he or she does not pay the tuition fee, a student cannot take a leave of absence after the semester begins.
* Tuition refund for drop-outTuition fee refunds will be made based on the number of remaining school days and, if a student drops out of school during a leave of absence period, the tuition fee will be refunded based on the leave of absence date for the semester for which the tuition is paid.
1) Prior to 30 after semester start: Five sixths of the tuition fee to be refunded
2) From the 30th day to 59th day of semester: Two thirds of the tuition fee to be refunded
3) From the 60th day to 89th day of the semester: Half the tuition fee to be refunded
4) From 90 days after semester begins: No refunds to be made
1. Those who want to be re-enrolled must submit, within the designated period, a re-enrollment application to the GSD President.
2. Types of Re-enrollment and Tuition Payment
▶ General re-enrollment (full amount of tuition): Those who are not registered for the semester and wish to re-enroll upon the end of leave of absence period.
▶General re-enrollment (part of the tuition): - If a student took a leave of absence one month after the semester begins and two thirds of the school days of such semester remained at the time of leave: One third of the tuition fee shall be paid upon re-enrollment. - If a student took a leave of absence after one third of the school days of the semester had passed but more than half of the school days remained at the time of leave: Half of the tuition fee shall be paid upon re-enrollment. - If a student took a leave of absence after half of the school days passed: Full amount of tuition fee shall be paid upon re-enrollment.
▶ Re-enrollment with exemption: If a student took a leave of absence within one month of beginning of semester, the full tuition will be exempted.
▶ Those who, upon receipt of enlistment notice during a semester, took leave for military service, will be exempted from paying tuition for the re-enrolled semester. If a student submitted a general leave of absence application but was not drafted into the army during the leave of absence period, he must pay tuition based on the above provisions upon re-enrollment.
Leave of Absence and Re-enrollment Application
1. How to apply for leave of absence and re-enrollment
▶ Prepare a leave of absence or re-enrollment application form and submit it to the GSD Administrative Support Office via Advisory Professor and the Department Chair.
▶ Students may apply for a leave of absence or re-enrollment via Internet (Dong-A University website → Dong-A People → Student Information → Student Status Changes)
- If a student applies for a leave of absence again after being re-enrolled, he or she can apply for a leave of absence one day after the re-enrollment is applied for.
▶ A student who plans to re-enroll shall complete the re-enrollment application process before starting course registration.
▶ A tuition payment bill will be issued immediately after a student applies for re-enrollment, so please pay the tuition within the designated period.
▶ For any questions regarding leave of absence and re-enrollment, please contact the GSD Administrative Support Office via 051-200-5502~4.
▶ For leave of absence and re-enrollment application forms, go to Application Forms at the Dong-A University Graduate School website.